English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Summary of 2 articles

4 posters

Go down

Summary of 2 articles Empty Summary of 2 articles

Post  MitchellHill Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:51 am

The question I have decided to research is how the idea of the American dream is a false reality and isolation of the individual in American society will lead to one's downfall is apparent in The Great Gatsby. This was a question I was asked last year but there was never anything done with it and I have decided to pursuit this question.
The first article titled' "Boats against the Current" talks about how the American dream is an idea that is built up in an American's mind so much so, that once it is discovered, it is not ever what it seems to be. Once the American Dream is seen for the first time it is immediately gone and is to never be discovered again. This play directly into part to of my question because the constant pursuit of the American Dream is bound to lead to one's downfall and thus, they isolate themselves from society.
Also, I am going to use the actual novel, The Great Gatsby, because F. Scott Fitzgerald makes references throughout his novel about how the American dream and isolation amongst American Society is apparent through his main characters, Nick and Gatsby.

MitchellHill
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Summary of 2 articles Empty Re: Summary of 2 articles

Post  adamlowe Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:33 pm

First of all I like the use of The Great Gatsby. THis is a great book. Secondly I think this is a very interesting topic, I would assume there will be lots of sources and information for this topic.

adamlowe
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  AustinTri Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:44 pm

I agree, the use of the Great Gatsby is one of my all time favorite books.... And this will make for a really good project. Great Job.

AustinTri
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  AustinTri Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:26 pm

Another thing that I noticed is you could talk a little more about the American dream and maybe what that means to you as a person. Put your own twist to it and tell how you see the American dream. Another suggestion is to maybe ask other people what their ideas of the American dream would be. Take a survey?

AustinTri
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Summary of 2 articles Empty Final Project

Post  DanielSherwood Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:05 pm

I read your initial 2 page paper and from what I saw then I thought you did an absolute great job using both the Great Gatsby and District 9. If you can continue using those two sources and keep them connected throughout the project it will turn out fantastic.

DanielSherwood
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down