English 1000
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arguments yeah

4 posters

Go down

Arguments yeah Empty Arguments yeah

Post  ianvandam Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:42 am

So for my question regarding Urban Deindustrialization in the middle part of the 20th century, I found two contrasting papers regarding what happened based on how it is initially labelled, as well as the details of what motivated the end result of urban blight among, and poor prospect on a wide array of issues from education to infrastructure. The First paper I looked at was called "Urban Sprawl" written by Thomas J. Nechyba and Randall P. Walsh. In this they argue that the dilapidated state in which inner cores across the United States stand is primarily caused by the accessibility and advances of the automobile and the freeway, as well as a downturn in usage of mass transit. Sociologically, they argue that an increase in income and a decrease in transportation expenditures made it possible for such vast suburbanization to occur.

Nechyba, Thomas J., and Randall P. Walsh. "Urban Sprawl." Journal of Economics (n.d.): n. pag. JSTOR. Web. 16 Nov. 2012. <http://www.jstor.org/stable/3216798?seq=2>.

In William Frey's "Central City White Flight: Racial and Nonracial Causes", he argues that although there was an economic demand for housing after World War 2, there were extremely important social and racial implications to the decline of the American inner city. He states that increasing tensions in the 50's, stimulated by an influx of African Americans from the rural south moving to the cities for "mobility", a sociological term form how well and individual or unit can adjust or improve upon their status, like job opportunity. Essentially, he says that the market actively made it easier for established residents to flee the cities for suburban areas, thus avoiding interaction.

Frey, William H. "Central City White Flight: Racial and Nonracial Causes." JSTOR. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Nov. 2012. <http://www.jstor.org/stable/2094885?seq=2>.

ianvandam
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Arguments yeah Empty Re: Arguments yeah

Post  adamlowe Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:05 pm

I think the downturn of mass transit would be interesting to use. WHy is it happening and what are the repercussions from it? Good start to your research however.

adamlowe
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  OliviaPeterkin Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:47 am

I think that the "White flight" paper could be a really interesting source in this assignment. Dissecting how social and racial implications affected the decline of the American city is an interesting take on the topic. Wink

OliviaPeterkin
Dirigible Air Captain
Dirigible Air Captain

Back to top Go down

Arguments yeah Empty interesting

Post  AustinTri Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:58 pm

I think this could really be a good idea for you to succeed in your final project because it is original and not a lot of people will be able to say that they did the same thing.

AustinTri
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum